(probably the #1 reason people start to use Cannabis)
The American Sleep Association notes the human cost of insomnia is steep, with about 1,600 deaths and 40,000 injuries caused by drowsy driving each year. Additionally, a significant portion of the 100,000 hospital deaths caused by medical errors each year can be attributed to sleep deprivation. Insomnia affects about 10% (chronic) to 40% (situational) people in the US per year.
Here is a link that describes insomnia and it’s implications in more detail: https://www.healthline.com/health/insomnia-concerns.
In my personal journey with insomnia, insomnia came after having a child. My hormones changed and I didn’t sleep well for about 15 years. I took Benadryl at night until I read a report that linked chronic Benadryl use with Alzheimers. I was desperate. Not sleeping led to obsessive thinking and over exercise, I tried to get myself as tired as I could, only to lay down at night in total exhaustion and have my eyes pop wide open like I just ate a big scoop of wasabi when I thought it was guacamole.
My cannabis journey started with a bad knee, and CBD. I soon found this worked for about 15 minutes and I started using THC infused tinctures. These tinctures were a game changer for me, I’m a do-it-your-selfer and a plant person, so I started growing my own organic cannabis. This happened at the same time my mother was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer, so I started experimenting with recipes, I first tried my hand with Rick Simpson Oil, which was a pain and stress reliever for my mother and it worked for my insomnia as well.
If any of you have tried Rick Simpson Oil, it is great stuff, but it tastes absolutely terrible. So I continued in my pursuit of a sleep aid that was effective AND tasted good. Next I made tinctures, my first tries tasted like licking the bottom of an ash tray, but they were super effective. I got tincture making down, and I made them to sell at medical marijuana dispensaries; then recreational cannabis became legal and selling tinctures and salves became unviable because of the permits and other legal issues that would probably have taken over 100K+ to overcome. I could still make tinctures for just myself, but each batch makes a LOT of tincture. So this was not a good technique for just myself.
Next up I tried making edibles. It took months of trial and error to finally land on the recipe I’ll share today, partially because another complication is the edibles have to be diabetic friendly. I can make the cookie recipe I’m about to share in small batches. I consume a cookie every night along with a CBD capsule comprised of four strains of CBD that I grow and fill capsules with, and I sleep like a baby. I wake up the next day with no hangover, no inflammation and I’m productive all day. And bonus-these cookies taste amazing!
Even though no one has died (overdosed) from consuming cannabis, people have died in car accidents after consuming cannabis… so please consume when you’re in your jammies getting ready for bed. Try using this recipe or your normal nighttime dose along with this cannabis guided meditation for a relaxing bedtime combo.
KETO COCONUT MACAROONS
(can be found at Whole Foods and Trader Joes)
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1/4 Cup Monkfruit Golden Sugar (you can use regular sugar if you want)
- 1 T. Nighttime Strains Cannabis infused Coconut Oil
- 1 T. CBD Strain Infused Coconut Oil (link on how to make cannabis infused coconut oil -I’ve been experimenting with using the leaves for new growers and I use about 8 cups of leaves from nighttime strains, decarb, and grind, I’m finding the leaves also work well)
- a dash of Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 T Almond Extract
- 1/4 C Almond Flour
- 1/3 of an 8 oz Bag of Flake Coconut- (I buy this at Trader Joe’s)
- 1/3 of an 8 oz Bag of Raw Sliced Almonds- (I buy this at Trader Joe’s)
- 1/5 Bag of Lily’s Stevia Sweetened Salted Almond Chocolate Chips- (you can find these at Whole Foods, but any kind of chocolate chips will do)
HOW TO MAKE THEM!
- Whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks
- Mix together, blend well so cannabis is evenly distributed (I use a fork and spend a couple minutes at this)
- almond flour
- shredded coconut
- infused coconut oil
- vanilla extract
- almond extract
- sliced almonds
- chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 deg F
- Gently fold batter into egg whites
- Scoop batter onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet (I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup for this)
- Bake for 15-16 mins or until edges are golden brown
- I have one cookie per night and a cup of chamomile tea